Thursday 20 October 2016

Growing up, living and learning.


It has been five long years since I reached here, Sri Lanka. I call it my second home. The journey throughout has been challenging yet fulfilling. Never did I aspire to study medicine in the first place and secondly to do so in Sri Lanka. But what my fate had in store for me was something exciting. After completing high school and with a satisfactory result to qualify for the ex-country scholarship, I was ready to grab it, but without knowing anything or having any idea of what I will be doing for the next five to six years.

With my excitement and mom's minimal persuasion, my life is set for something differently new and good.

Studying medicine was both challenging and fascinating. For in life everything that is being pursued, if for a purpose and objective is challenging. Yet the reinforcing aspect through such challenges has been the fascination that cumulates as one reaches higher up on the medical hierarchy. I am at the very bottom and what I see, more often than not, is an unpleasant sight, but with a light at the very end. It is only after climbing a mountain that you realize there are thousands more to conquer.



The years of sweat and pain, the sleepless nights spent in medical wards observing and helping senior doctors save hundred and thousand of lives was not just about living. To my conscience and awareness, humanity just survives and for survival, irrespective of one's origin, race, and status, inter-dependence is a key factor.  You help patients live a day or a year more and they teach you a thousand lessons. For many a doctor would be just a person treating wounds and prescribing medications for different ailments, but for the doctor, each patient's life is an autobiography written with medical descriptions and clues to help find and solve some mysteries.

As a doctor, you do not listen to diagnose a disease affecting someone's life, but you listen to that person's life story, predominantly the difficult times of their life, and try to find links and ways to cure them. Each patient's story is a narration filled with sad events and unbound sacrifices.

There is no one remedy to cure all the problems, but with a more loving heart doctors can be the best source of compassion and empathy. Doctors can help these wondrous human aptitudes to flourish.

1 comment:

The heritage! Knowing your origins!

My great great grand mother is Angay Cham, she was born into Badrop family of Taktse in the year 1868. Badrop is a group of people living ...